Tuesday 15 September 2009

Early Impressions of Japan...


Although the image I have chosen to represent my 'first impression' of Japan is a woman in traditional dress (a stereotypical, media-influenced image I had always thought was intended for tourists) this woman made an impression on me for that reason. I expected kimono wearing women to be an empowering self-representation of the traditional Japanese woman and her associated values of poise and subservience; uncommon to see going about everyday life. However I saw several women in kimonos when I visited Kyoto - the first trip I made in Japan - not only wandering down small side alleys but intermingling with the highly fashionable Japanese that fill the main streets. And they didn't elicit attention from Nihon-jin, which led me to conclude that it is in fact a common sight, in Kyoto at least. Wanting to get an insiders perspective I asked my host mother when I met her for the first time the following day: "Is it common to see women in traditional kimono?". She didn't seem surprised at the question, having had experience with naive Westerners and their preconceptions before, however when I insisted that I had seen not only one but four or five women in kimonos she made the (now oh so familiar!) Japanese "heeeeeeeeeeh?!" sound, and tried to explain that 'normal' usage of Kimono was ceremonial only. So already I had come across the regional variations in culture and expectation, and discovered that my quest for a deeper understanding of Japanese 'traditions' could not be undertaken from the comfort of Kansai. Having said that it did serve to reinforce the idea that the Japanese place a high importance on their history and cultural traditions, which is what brought me to Japan in the first place.



The next photo comes from a supermarket found hidden down the side streets of Osaka. I chose it as a representation of my initial impression as it embodies one of the contrasts that I found interesting (annoyingly I find myself unable to avoid the common notion of Japan as a land of contrasts); bright lights, modern amenities and advanced technology balanced with a simple lifestyle. The number of people who use bicycles as part of a daily transport routine (not necessarily as a primary form of transport but nevertheless significant) made a big impact on me, possibly due to coming from a country where I havn't ridden a bike in about four years and know many people that don't even know how to ride one. Bikes are catered for everywhere; arguably more so than cars as many shops and the convenience stores that abound only have room for bike parking and nowhere for cars. I myself have embraced the bike culture, cycling the 30minutes to Kansai Gaidai and back every day, and enjoying the scenery and proximity to locals that I would otherwise be missing. Whether the use of bicycles is due to the 'convenience' of everything and the fact that the mountainous landscape means everything is condensed into smaller areas, or it is simply a financial choice I have yet to work out (I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a lot to do with the low environmental impact as Japan is the 5th worst country for CO2 emissions). But it seems to suit the Japanese, and if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me...

5 comments:

  1. With regards to your kimono story, I find it very interesting that you used the words "empowering" and "subservience" in the same sentence. Most would find the two ideas to be contradictory. It might be a good experience to ask the women around you how they feel when they wear kimono, and if it has any abstract meaning for them. アンケートを作ってね!
    You've done a great job of demonstrating the connection between the photos and your thoughts on what they represent. That is, after all, the idea behind photoblogging.
    Photoanthroblogging?
    Anthrophotoblogging?
    What does the Professor call it these days?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is a great start to what I am sure will be an exceptionally enlightening exploration of Japanese culture. And, as Joe says, you do a great job of connecting your photos with your text - this is perhaps the greatest challenge of the blog assignment (what are we calling it these days- phologging?).

    I think you are already discovering cultural differences between Kyoto and Osaka. The women you saw in Kyoto might have been shop keepers where their customers expect the kimono as a uniform or perhaps keepers of tradition? Or perhaps even those women who are trying the stage the comeback of the kimono as a fashion. I guess we need to ask them to find out...

    Nice pictures and nice layout for your blog. I am looking forward to your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I forgot to mention something.. You get a thousand Joe Points for using a photo as your banner. This photoblog is going to mean a lot to you at the end of your study abroad term, and it definitely doesn't hurt to make it look good. Kudos, props, and 尊敬!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris said...

    Thought the post was great as you are obviously challenging the perceptions you had of Japan before you came.
    While it may be a common notion that Japan is a land of contrasts, it is without a doubt the view I held before I came here and I am dont think that view has changed much. However I think this is exactly what makes japan so interesting because you are constantly having to balance the two in your head and its hard to not admire the Japanese ability to bring these seemigly contradictory elements together.
    Clearly there is much more to explore and judging by what you have already written、and knowing thoughtful you are about your observations you will do a great job of documenting your thoughts.
    I would also agree with the other comments insaying that your choice of photos are perfect and they compliment the descriptions perfectly. And from an aesthetic point of view the blog looks really good.
    I of course would expect no less from you and cant wait to keep reading!

    Christoph!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe - I think I meant something along the lines of it being empowerment as the kimono is a visual cultural representation of Japan and therefore Japanese women get the chance to be representatives. At the same time there is a subservient manner associated, but in upholding this idealised image of the woman it gives the wearer power. It costs about 10,000 yen to dress up in a kimono for a few hours (an organised day) and on this basis only I would say it has to make women feel pretty good!

    ReplyDelete