Wednesday 7 October 2009

Kawaii Fashion

Japanese Popular Culture and Entertainment





The word kawaii (cute) is heard all the time in Japan - it was one of the first words I learnt when I got here and is used to describe all sorts of things. To be kawaii is something to attain as far as I can gather, accessorising with hair clips, bows, anime characters hanging on bags and the popular keitai sutorapu (mobile phone hangers), and this is not limited to girls - note the Hello Kitty and pig attached to the guys' bags in the photo below. An interesting article I read talked about the appointment of three female ambassadors for the Foreign Ministry, chosen because they represent the popular kawaii fashion that it would seem Japan wants to present to the foreign media. The article suggests that faced by economic threat (from China especially) Japan should play on "soft power"; the popularity that can be gained by getting people to "love your culture". While this theory could work on a national level, with the younger generations putting so much emphasis on fashion and leisure spending (and therefore having a big influence on the economy) I can't help but doubt that it would given Japan credibility in the international economy. It seems like an attempt to play on orientalism; the Japanese themselves having invented a more modern image of themselves as 'kawaii'. One of my first impressions of the Japanese youngsters that I met was that they seemed to act less mature than their age might suggest, and while I am sure I am being ethnocentric saying this I can't help but wonder if it is the effect of the emphasis on 'cuteness', something that I previously associated with children. Is it just a fashion trend that Westerners either embrace or shake their heads at? I have to admit I have a mixed reaction - already I have acquired four keitei sutorapu (all of which have been proclaimed "kawaii" by Japanese friends, and which I am quite attached to!) but at the same time I can't understand the fascination with the Hello Kitty, Disney or anime characters that adorn everything, and still associate those things with immaturity. I am sure after a year living here I will have more to say on the subject, maybe even part way towards an explanation on why kawaii fashion is so big, but for now I will have to conclude that although it is a big part of Japanese popular culture it may only be a passing fashion trend (albeit a long lasting one), and as for 'kawaii' being a symbol of nationalism.....I don't think that one will take over from the geisha any time soon.


3 comments:

  1. Chris said,

    Again an honest and thoughtful commentary on what you see around you. i agree with your thoughts on the story about the Japanese governments choice of foreign ambassadors and i cant help but think that perhaps the government needs to make some more serious decisions in the face of its economic problems.
    One thing I found hard to understand about Japanese culture before I came was the seemingly contradictory relationship between the older generation of business men in Japan, smartly dressed and very formal, and the extremely fashionable and fun seeking younger generation. I could not understand how that younger generation clad in Hello Kitty gear grew up to become so formal and devout in there smart suits. I agree with you, that at times it does appear to be slightly child like even wantingly immature. It is a contradiction I have still not come to understand.
    As I have already said I thought this was a very honest approach and I admire the way you are ready to say what you think and explore your views. I also like the fact that you perfectly at ease in stating that your views are obviously from a eurocentric point of view and you understand the dangers involved in that.
    Well done Becks, I llook forward to reading next weeks!!

    Christoph

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this post a lot - great topic and interesting comments. There is a lot one could study under the theme of kawaii. I don't think your comments are ethnocentric, many Japanese people have said similar things.

    You might want to read

    Hello Kitty: The Remarkable Story of Sanrio and the Billion Dollar Feline Phenomenon (Belson and Bremner 2003)

    for more analysis of Kitty-chan in particualr and kawaii in general. Anthropologist Christine Yano has been doing research in this area as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came across this online article which has some interesting ideas on the kawaii 'rebellion' - postponing responsibility in a career driven society. Take a look if you are interested in this topic:

    http://www.kinsellaresearch.com/Cuties.html

    ReplyDelete